Oklahoma State University Athletics Selects Altius Sports to Enhance NIL Program
JAN. 12, 2021
Leading firm to provide Oklahoma State staff, coaches, and college athletes with holistic education and strategic advisory
STILLWATER – Altius Sports Partners and Oklahoma State University Athletics announced today a partnership to enhance and supplement the school’s name, image and likeness program including ongoing strategic planning, consultation and comprehensive educational support benefitting all varsity programs and student-athletes.
The partnership with Altius represents the next NIL step for an OSU Athletic Department that has already established itself as a leader in the space. Previous steps taken by OSU Athletics include collaborating with the Spears School of Business to implement college-credit classes on how student-athletes can maximize their NIL opportunities and the formation of the Brand Squad – a group of some of the top minds from the Spears School who provide one-on-one NIL guidance to OSU student-athletes. Also, OSU Athletics previously partnered with The Brandr Group and worked with Altius to deliver related education to help its student-athletes profit off their name, image and likeness using OSU’s official trademarks and logos.
Altius has specialized in developing and managing programs around important issues related to NIL. Through its industry expertise, range of services and intellectual resources, Altius’ comprehensive approach includes establishing a strategic vision and implementing a cohesive plan to help all university stakeholders navigate changes and thrive in the new college landscape. Key elements of the partnership include enhancement of departmental initiatives, hands-on educational workshops for student-athletes, coaches and staff around issues such as legislation, group licensing, commercialization, donor engagement, branding and IP and corporate relationships, as well as collaboration with the university’s Brand Squad to augment campus partnerships.
“It is a new era in college athletics and partnering with Altius allows Oklahoma State to provide the highest level of guidance, education and resources to our student-athletes. Altius is recognized as being the best at what they do in the name, image and likeness space and the big winners from this partnership will be our current and all future student-athletes,” said OSU Athletic Director Chad Weiberg.
Home to 52 NCAA team titles, 324 conference team titles and more than 1,260 All-Americans, Oklahoma State is one of the highest-performing collegiate athletic departments in the nation and is regularly featured on the largest stages.
“Living up to its long tradition of excellence, Oklahoma State has established a tremendous foundation early in the NIL era. We are proud to partner with the Cowboys and support all OSU stakeholders through the ongoing evolution of intercollegiate athletics wherein — together — we will maintain and enhance OSU’s reputation as a Big 12 and national leader,” said Andrew Donovan, Vice President, Collegiate Partnerships, Altius.
Supported by operational leadership and a best-in-class client services team, the Altius cross-disciplinary network of partners and advisory team members includes:
• David Carter, Executive Director of the USC Sports Business Institute, and a professor of sports business at USC’s Marshall School of Business.
• John Entz, 14-time Emmy winner and former President of Production at Fox Sports, SVP at MLB Network and producer at ESPN.
• Gabe Feldman, Director of the Tulane Sports Law Program, Associate Provost for NCAA Compliance and Co-Director of Tulane Center for Sport.
• Renie Anderson, the CRO and EVP, Partnerships at the NFL.
• Jené Elzie, former Pac-12 college athlete and current Chief Growth Officer for Athletes First Partners, sister company of Athletes First, the largest NFL talent representation agency in the country.
• Oliver Luck, sports business leader and former Commissioner of the XFL, EVP for Regulatory Affairs and Strategic Partnerships for the NCAA, and Athletic Director at West Virginia University.
• Michael O’Hara Lynch, former global head of sponsorship marketing at Visa, Inc. and global head of consulting at Nielson Sports, currently partner in 3 Emerald Marketing.
• Jessica Mendoza, former Pac-12 college athlete and Olympic gold medalist, is a broadcaster for ESPN.
• Kenneth Shropshire, CEO of the Global Sport Institute, and professor at Arizona State.
• Malcolm Turner, sports business executive and former Vice Chancellor and Athletics Director at Vanderbilt and President of the NBA G League.
About Altius Sports Partners
Altius Sports is a leading firm that delivers consulting, strategic planning, compliance support and education to its clients. An official partner of leading collegiate athletic departments and sports properties, Altius provides strategic solutions on topics ranging from NIL to the shifting landscape of employment and media rights within college athletics. The firm currently represents athletics departments at LSU, Texas, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, USC, Indiana, Oregon State, Washington, Duke, Purdue, Arizona, Northwestern and Oklahoma State. ASP has also partnered with Women Leaders in College Sports. Providing all stakeholders – athletics departments, coaches, and college athletes – with resources they need to thrive in the new age of college athletics, Altius leverages its deep reservoir of sports business sophistication to help those impacted to prepare and excel. We have built a team of cross-disciplinary leaders to reach higher levels of education, higher access to opportunities and higher standards of excellence.