Altius Sports Partners to Develop Comprehensive NIL Program with Purdue Athletics
SEPT. 1, 2021
NIL education firm to provide staff, coaches and student-athletes with extensive services to support management of NIL rules, policy and opportunities
Leading NIL advisory and education firm Altius Sports Partners has entered into a partnership with Purdue Athletics to develop and manage the department’s wide-ranging NIL program focused on long-term strategic guidance, consultation and educational support benefitting all elements of the Boilermakers’ athletic programs.
“As the landscape of college athletics continues to evolve, our focus at Purdue is to be on the leading edge of new developments,” said Vice President and athletics director Mike Bobinski. “Our alignment with Altius Sports Partners puts tremendous resources in the hands of our student-athletes, enabling them to best manage and grow opportunities to utilize their name, image and likeness. Altius will guide our sports programs on best practices, and work with our athletics department on emerging industry trends and opportunities.”
ASP’s comprehensive approach to NIL is designed to achieve department-wide cohesion in the university’s understanding and management of NIL. Through its range of services, ASP will create a strategic vision and structure that allows Purdue to lead amidst the ongoing evolution of the NIL environment.
“The proactive approach to addressing the broad impacts of NIL will establish Purdue Athletics as a leader in this emerging era of college athletics,” said Casey Schwab, CEO, Altius Sports Partners. “ASP is proud to bring our expertise to West Lafayette to partner with a school with a tradition of excellence on the field and eye on the future of collegiate sports off of it.”
ASP will provide Purdue Athletics with education for staff and coaches while bringing together NIL stakeholders to continue to elevate Purdue’s success through services and deliverables benefitting and empowering all student-athletes. Among the key elements of the education platform are:
• Best practices and innovative approaches to engage internal and external stakeholders
• Guidance on legislation and compliance
• Hands-on workshops and resources for constituents impacted by NIL
• Wide array of student-athlete education sessions including topics such as marketing, personal brand building, financial literacy, and evaluating opportunities
Supported by operational leadership and a best-in-class client services team, ASP’s network of advisory team members includes:
• David Carter, a national authority on sports business and marketing who is Executive Director of the USC Sports Business Institute and a professor of sports business at USC’s Marshall School of Business.
• John Entz, a 14-time Emmy winner who was formerly President of Production at Fox Sports, SVP at the MLB Network and a producer at ESPN.
• Gabe Feldman, a sports law expert who is Director of the Tulane Sports Law Program, Associate Provost for NCAA Compliance and Co-Director of the Tulane Center for Sport.
• Renie Anderson, known as “one of the most powerful women in sports,” currently serves as the Chief Revenue Officer and Executive Vice President, Partnerships at the NFL.
• Jené Elzie, a former Pac-12 student-athlete, previously served as Vice President of International Marketing for the NBA and is now Chief Growth Officer for Athletes First Partners, sister company of Athletes First, the largest NFL talent representation agency in the country.
• Oliver Luck, a sports business leader whose experiences have included roles as Commissioner of the XFL, EVP for Regulatory Affairs and Strategic Partnerships for the NCAA, and Athletic Director at West Virginia University.
• Michael O’Hara Lynch, a world-renowned sports marketer and former global head of sponsorship marketing at Visa, Inc. and global head of consulting at Nielson Sports, currently a partner in 3 Emerald Marketing consulting in the sports, music and entertainment.
• Jessica Mendoza, a former Pac-12 student-athlete and Olympic gold and silver medalist, is a broadcaster for ESPN since 2007 and the first woman to serve as an analyst for nationally televised MLB games.
• Kenneth Shropshire, a 30-year veteran of the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business where he was a professor and Director of the Wharton Sports Business Initiative, is now CEO of the Global Sport Institute and a professor at Arizona State University.
• Malcolm Turner, a highly regarded sports business executive, served in prior roles as Vice Chancellor and Athletics Director at Vanderbilt University and President of the NBA G League.
About Purdue Athletics
The Purdue Boilermakers, an NCAA Division I athletics department and member of the Big Ten Conference, are proud representatives of Purdue University, located in West Lafayette, Indiana. With 18 sports programs, the department maintains a vision within a culture of integrity and inclusion that empowers each Boilermaker student-athlete to achieve academic success, triumph athletically, and master leadership behaviors that enhance the pride and reputation of our University. With integrity, excellence, teamwork, competitiveness and resilience, our mission is to develop champions, advance academic success, strengthen leadership capabilities, and promote positive student-athlete well-being. Above all, Boilermakers possess the courage to lead positively in competition, in the classroom and in the community.
About Altius Sports Partners
Altius Sports Partners is a leading-edge NIL focused firm that delivers consulting, strategic planning, compliance support and education to its clients. Currently, the firm represents the athletics departments at LSU, Texas, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, USC, Duke, Indiana, Oregon State, Washington and Purdue, and has also partnered with Women Leaders in College Sports. Providing all stakeholders – athletic departments, coaches, and student athletes – with the resources they need to thrive in this new age of college athletics, ASP leverages its deep reservoir of sports business sophistication to help those impacted by NIL changes prepare and excel. We have built a team of cross-disciplinary leaders to reach higher levels of education, higher access to opportunities and higher standards of excellence.