Altius Sports Partners, NU Link for Comprehensive NIL Program
DEC. 2, 2021
Leading firm to provide staff, coaches and college athletes with extensive NIL education and strategic solutions for the transforming college landscape
EVANSTON, December 2, 2021 – Altius Sports Partners (“Altius”), an official partner of leading collegiate athletic departments and sports properties, has entered into a partnership with Northwestern University Athletics to develop and manage the school’s program on important issues related to Name, Image and Likeness (“NIL”), long-term strategic guidance, consultation and educational support benefitting all elements of the Wildcats revered athletic programs.
“Throughout our process to build a foundation that best serves Wildcats in the NIL era, it was clear Altius focused on being a true partner and not offering a one-size-fits-all solution,” said Combe Family Vice President for Athletics and Recreation Dr. Derrick Gragg. “At one of the world’s most renowned universities, on the doorstep of one of its most dynamic cities, our students deserve a curriculum and support system that allows them to maximize their opportunities. Northwestern always has been a leader in providing student-athletes with the resources necessary to develop and achieve, we are excited to evolve and collaborate with Altius in this important area.”
Through its range of services and intellectual resources, Altius will create a strategic vision and execute on a plan that allows Northwestern to lead during this new era as NIL and broader structural change greatly impact the college sports environment. Altius’ comprehensive approach is designed to foster department-wide cohesion and collaboration around issues and opportunities for more than 500 student-athletes across 19 varsity programs.
“Change has arrived in collegiate sports and Northwestern University Athletics has embraced the opportunity to lay the foundation for its athletes’ continued achievement on and off the field,” said Casey Schwab, CEO, Altius Sports Partners. “We’re thrilled to partner with Chicago’s Big Ten Team and one of the world’s leading universities to develop, support and deliver programs and strategies for success.”
The firm will provide Northwestern Athletics with custom education for coaches and administrators while bringing together stakeholders to continue to elevate the school’s success through services and deliverables helping and empowering all college athletes. Among the elements of the education-based platform are:
• Best practices and new approaches to engage internal and external stakeholders
• Guidance on legislation and compliance
• Hands-on workshops and resources for constituents impacted by NIL and related issues
• Range of college athlete education sessions including topics such as marketing, brand building, financial literacy and evaluating new opportunities
• Creation and execution of plan to leverage on campus resources to support athletes
Supported by operational leadership and a best-in-class client services team, the Altius Sports network of advisory team members includes:
• David Carter, Executive Director of the USC Sports Business Institute and a professor of sports business at USC’s Marshall School of Business.
• John Entz, 14-time Emmy winner and former President of Production at Fox Sports, SVP at MLB Network and producer at ESPN.
• Gabe Feldman, sports law expert, Director of the Tulane Sports Law Program, Associate Provost for NCAA Compliance and Co-Director of Tulane Center for Sport.
• Renie Anderson, known as one of the most powerful women in sports, currently serves as the CRO and EVP, Partnerships at the NFL.
• Jené Elzie, former Pac-12 college athlete, former VP of International Marketing for the NBA and current Chief Growth Officer for Athletes First Partners, sister company of Athletes First, the largest NFL talent representation agency in the country.
• Oliver Luck, sports business leader whose experiences have included roles as Commissioner of the XFL, EVP for Regulatory Affairs and Strategic Partnerships for the NCAA, and Athletic Director at West Virginia University.
• Michael O’Hara Lynch, world-renowned sports marketer and former global head of sponsorship marketing at Visa, Inc. and global head of consulting at Nielson Sports, currently partner in 3 Emerald Marketing.
• Jessica Mendoza, former Pac-12 college athlete and Olympic gold medalist, is a broadcaster for ESPN and the first woman to serve as an analyst for nationally televised MLB games.
• Kenneth Shropshire, 30-year veteran of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business and current CEO of the Global Sport Institute and professor at Arizona State University.
• Malcolm Turner, highly regarded sports business executive, served as Vice Chancellor and Athletics Director at Vanderbilt University and President of NBA G League.
About Altius Sports Partners
Altius Sports Partners is a leading firm that delivers consulting, strategic planning, compliance support and education to its clients. An official partner of leading collegiate athletic departments and sports properties, Altius provides strategic solutions on topics ranging from NIL to the shifting landscape of employment and media rights within college athletics. The firm currently represents athletics departments at LSU, Texas, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, USC, Indiana, Oregon State, Washington, Duke, Purdue, Arizona and Northwestern. ASP has also partnered with Women Leaders in College Sports. Providing all stakeholders – athletics departments, coaches, and college athletes – with resources they need to thrive in the new age of college athletics, Altius leverages its deep reservoir of sports business sophistication to help those impacted to prepare and excel. We have built a team of cross-disciplinary leaders to reach higher levels of education, higher access to opportunities and higher standards of excellence.